Sunday, March 22, 2015

Drum Circle Therapy

The first thing I noticed when I awoke this morning, was the silence of the rain pounding against the house. Finally, a cloudy but rainless day! It's been raining for weeks in this Houston town but it's better than the snowy days they are getting in my hometown of New York.

Perfect day for a drum circle.  I headed out to Old Town Spring, a quaint town lined with unique boutiques, antiques, foods from other countries and much more. The Thunder Drum Circle met in the courtyard of an old New England style home turned into a gem and jewelry shop. People of all walks of life, faith, and lifestyles gather together to blend beats to drums and percussion instruments, to dance uninhibited, letting go of their struggles, thoughts and stress. Beats going to a psychologist! No pun intended! No drumming experience needed.

It always amazes me that all these different people can come together in unity and connect with each other through the beats of their instruments. Sometimes I get lost in the space this event conjures up.

If you're stressed out, or need to get away, or need to smile and have fun, let me suggest that you find a local community drum circle. Experience it. Let me know how it went.

Houston drum circle: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thunderdrumcircle/
Check your local meetup.com  groups  or Facebook for drum circles in your area.