Monday, January 2, 2017

Books

                                                               BOOKS

There are  seven kinds of love; Eros, Philia, Ludus, Pragma, Agape, Philautia and Storge.
I am a lover of Books.

I remember the long trek to the library, walking down the hill to Kingsbridge Road in the Bronx,  and what seemed like endless streets to a 6 year old to get to the doors of the building that held my world.

Only six books were allowed to be taken out. I could never decide which ones to leave behind from my stack of fifteen. "Now remember, you have to carry all those books back up the hill and up the stairs," Mom would warn me. Our apartment building had about 15 stairs to get to the building, then another four flights of stairs to get to the apartment.   The thought of the heavy books only discouraged me for a second. It was worth it. Sometimes, to lighten my load I'd try to get my sister to add to her one or two books she carried. Too bad we didn't have back packs back then.


Kingsbridge Rd, Bronx NY 
The minute I got home, I rushed to decide which book to devour first. You could escape to anywhere you wanted in a book. You could be any person you wanted in a book. You could learn so many things. The words danced in my head, the crisp pages turned with excitement. 

A good story is like sweet wine; soothes the mind and body. I am a lover of books.